Two gongs for Ford in What Van Awards 2019
15th December 2018
Running a fleet comprising company vans isn’t the easiest but it has become a little less overwhelming after What Van revealed its annual award winners list.
Leading the list was the LCV of the Year category, which was topped by the Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner and Vauxhall Combo – a trio of vans built on the same platform that are primed to have a profound impact on the UK market.
A statement from the judging panel explained that by combining resources, each brand has become a major force to be reckoned with in the industry, and the resulting vans being the first products to emerge from what is now Europe’s second-largest automotive group.
“PSA has raised the bar in terms of driveability and load-carrying practicality,” it added.
Ford was a big winner with the Transit Courier claiming the title of Small Van of the Year while the Transit Custom bagged Medium Van of the Year.
Mercedes-Benz’s Sprinter came out on top in the Large Van of the Year group, while Pick-Up of the Year was, err, picked-up by the Isuzu D-Max.
Speaking about the Vauxhall Combo, What Van? editor James Dallas said the van will see the brand return to the forefront of the light van sector, backed with of a strong dealer network and competitive pricing.
He explained: “It is available in short- and long-wheelbase formats, and as a crew van. A well kitted out cabin with cutting-edge technology and lots of storage space is complemented by engines and transmissions that can hold their own with the best in class.
“Clever load options, including the FlexCargo folding passenger seat, allow operators to make full use of the 1.0-tonne payload and load volume of up to 4.4m3.”
Derek Wilson, Vauxhall’s LCV director, said the win adds to the Combo’s growing collection of honours.
“It really does raise the bar in the compact van segment,” he commented.
“Practical, comfortable, economical and packed with all latest driver assistance and connectivity technology, the new Combo Cargo is the small van that helps carry British business.”
What Van Awards 2019: full list of winners
- LCV of the Year – Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Vauxhall Combo
- Small Van of the Year – Ford Transit Courier
- Medium Van of the Year – Ford Transit Custom
- Large Van of the Year – Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
- Pick-Up of the Year – Isuzu D-Max
- 4×4 LCV of the Year – Mitsubishi Shogun Sport Commercial
- Green Award – Nissan eNV200
- Website of the Year – Volkswagen
- Used Van of the Year – VW Transporter
- Safety Award – Careys Plant and Fleet
- Risk Management Award – SmartWitness
- Insurance Company of the Year – Adrian Flux
- Leasing Company of the Year – Leaseplan
- Rental Award – County Car & Van Rental
- Innovation Award – LEVL-Geotab
- Fleet Manager of the Year – David Fisher
- Driver of the Year – Rachael Muncaster
- Green Fleet of the Year – Leeds City Council
- SMR Award – ARI Fleet UK
- Converter of the Year – Tevo
Ellie Baker, brand manager at Fuel Card Services, comments: “Congratulations to all the winners. Competition is fierce in the van sector so even to be in the running is a massive achievement.”